Sweetheart Salad may be the most appropriately named dish for today!
My aunt has been making this creamy dessert for family gatherings since I was a little girl. I asked her to share the recipe with me so I had it for my own collection, and then I thought it would be perfect to share with you this Valentine’s Day.
Whip this up quickly and share it with your own sweetheart after dinner! Or before; whatever works!
This sweet treat is fruity, fluffy, and full of different textures thanks to the ingredients inside, and its red and pink coloring is perfectly themed for the holiday celebrating love. Sweetheart Salad is really easy to make and keeps well stored in and air-tight container inside the fridge.
I’m not sure why this dessert is so addicting to me. I usually fill up a section of my plate with it and forgo some of the other tasty sweets on the table, and usually take some leftovers home!
Now, with this recipe, I don’t have to wait for family parties to have some! Here it is!
- 2 cans crushed pineapple; do not drain
- 2 tbl lemon juice
- 2 tbl maraschino cherry juice
- 15-20 diced maraschino cherries
- 1 package of cream cheese, softened
- 2 packages (or 1.5 tbl ) of unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
For whipped cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbl powdered sugar
- Heat pineapple with sugar on stove, soften gelatin with water
- Combine gelatin, lemon juice and maraschino cherry juice to pineapple mixture; let cool
- Combine cream cheese with diced cherries with mixer in a large bowl, slowly adding pineapple mixture into bowl; chill in fridge
- Whip the cream and powdered sugar until whipped cream is formed, then blend it with chilled mixture. Serve.
Love chocolate? Throw in a few handfuls of mini or regular chocolate chips to add some decadence to this dish!
I hope you enjoy Sweetheart Salad as much as I do, and I also hope this Valentine’s Day fills you with love and happiness!