News Like This Needs its Own Post

I have an announcement which I’ve been dying to share with all of you for days, and I’m happy I can finally say something!

I am transitioning from the world of journalism into the world of public relations with a new job — I’m going to be a communications coordinator in the metro Detroit area and begin late this month.

Just before my birthday, I interviewed and received an offer for the position. To put it bluntly, I was thrilled and accepted right away. An opportunity like this is something I’ve desired for quite some time, and in a way, the timing couldn’t have been better.

Giving my two weeks notice at my workplace was bittersweet. Of course, I’ve really enjoyed some of the people and places I’ve gotten to know through the past three years, and good, fair, accurate journalism always will have some place in my heart.

Metro DetroitThis job, however, means so much to me. It means financial security; being able to save money or not worrying if an emergency happens. It means a more professional, more “adult” job where I can expand my horizons in a new type of writing path. It means I get to explore an area of this state where I’ve only been more or less a visitor. It means easier access to other states, Canada, and an airport with unlimited possibilities. It means being closer to a couple of family members and a number of friends I don’t get to see often enough.

Since the area in which I’ll be working is a good three hours from where I currently am, a move will have to take place. Unfortunately I won’t be able to hunt for apartments for another week, but I’m confident I’ll find something to my liking. Moving is one of my least favorite things to do, since you really learn how much crap you accumulate over time, but I’m also excited to be in my first proper apartment since graduating from college.

You better believe I will be documenting the moving process and giving you some insight into my new abode once I’m settled and organized! Stay tuned!

I’m really excited to begin this new career journey and to share what I can with you! It’s definitely a shining light in the first weeks of my 30s!

—K

About Karin

Journalist, singer, reader, movie fanatic, photography buff, GVSU alum, wanna-be-Brit, Crohn's fighter, Coca-Cola addict, animal lover, not a kid person, hater of winter, Michigander
This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to News Like This Needs its Own Post

1. MoVig says:

Congrats! And good luck on your move. I’d love to move back to Michigan, so I’m a little jealous!

• Karin says:

Thanks so much! And hey, Michigan is always worth a visit, right? Where did you live when you were here?

• MoVig says:

Ann Arbor, for university! The hubs and I always say if we ever love again, it would be to Michigan! Hoping to visit this fall – our kids have never been!

2. Nicole Driver says:

That sounds amazing! Congratulations!

3. Tina says:

Congratulations! Moving is always a bear, but what an exciting reason to do it!

4. jacheree says:

Congratulations! 😀 I know how excited I was when I got my first genuine “adult” job, after moving out here. 🙂 Good luck on your move and apartment search!

5. Laura Rhoades says:

Congratulations! Very exciting! The PR/communications world is great and I miss working in it. What will you be doing and who is the company? I lived in Detroit for 3 years right after college.

• Karin says:

Thank you! As far as I know, I will be a liaison between media and the county, write press releases, handle social media, etc.

6. Erin says:

Congratulations Karin! I can’t wait for you to live closer! Double dates anyone? 🙂

7. aunt kim says:

Yay for new opportunities! Congratulations and best wishes as you set out on a new path.

8. Alice says:

Your CD was playing when I found this – a sign? Will be nice having you closer tho I don’t get that way often either but maybe you will be up here more ;-} Happy for you Karin. God’s blessings and love. Love you too ~ Gramma

9. Vicki says:

With bittersweet feelings of both happiness because we know you are happy and sadness to know you are leaving we wish you all the luck in the world. Your story included a photo of my Dad at one of his last Township Board Meetings. So proud that the Pioneer would show him was more than priceless! You will always be remembered for your stories of the Mini Hoofbeats and making them part of a Fair that had never known the breed. You will always be a fond memory and always welcome here. Best wishes and Safe travels (FRIEND) Brian and Vicki