Cranberry turkey. Sounds crazy, right? Maybe a bit unappetizing? WRONG! This recipe is amazing, which is why I’m sharing it with you today. The best part? There are only four ingredients. Easy, peasy!
This is something my mom started making quite a few years ago after she got it from a former coworker. I was skeptical at first, too. Turkey flavored with onion soup mix and cranberry jelly? Ew. But I soon learned, especially once the smell of it cooking made my mouth water, I was so, so wrong.
Because I’ve never had anything larger than a 2-quart slow cooker, I’ve never been able to cook this myself. However, my significant other bought me a larger, beautiful 5-quart slow cooker for Christmas! Cranberry turkey was the first thing I made in it, and the turkey breast just squeezed in there.
Though the ingredients may seem a bit odd together, the flavors really make a nice savory blend with a hint of sweetness. Add some mashed potatoes on the side, maybe some veggies, and you’re golden.
Even for two people, the 7 pound turkey breast I used yielded tons of leftovers. Be prepared to use the rest of the breast for sandwiches, soups, in salads, etc. Here’s the recipe to make cranberry turkey:
- Thawed turkey breast; any size (I used about a 7 lb breast)
- 1 packet of onion soup mix
- 1 can of jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Remove gravy packet from breast cavity if applicable
- Place turkey breast in slow cooker and pour water over the turkey
- Shake the onion soup packet to mix its ingredients, then sprinkle evenly over turkey breast, into the cavity and around the meat
- Place spoonfuls of cranberry jelly on top, into the cavity and around the breast
- Cook on high for about one hour per one pound of meat, or until the meat easily falls off of the bone
- Serve with the gravy packet that came with the turkey or use the juices from the meat to make your own
In hindsight, this recipe would have been perfect to post around the holidays, but honestly, cranberry turkey is great for special occasions or simply any time of the year.
Make sure to save this recipe and try it out! If you do, tell me how you liked it!